Friday, August 19, 2005

Justine at Two

I start this post for my children. Hopefully, when I find time, I will try to write down my wonderful experiences with them. My memory may fail me in the future, but I hope the words written here will serve as an album of memories.

This was what I wrote several years ago, when my eldest girl, now 8 years old, nearly 9, was still a toddler.


July 31, 1999


Justine is now 2 years and 9 months old. She started preschool at St. Mark last June. She has 10 classmates and I don't know how many more new friends, because they have inter-classroom activities every Friday. As of now, she can count 1 to 20, sing the alphabet song and other preschool songs. She can identify the numbers 1 & 2, identify and give the sounds of letters M (for mommy), D(for daddy), J (for Justine), S, A, R, B, O. She can identify all the colors and shapes, she knows 'opposites' like long and short, outside and inside, and so on. She can say the names of her grandparents (both sides) her aunts and uncles, ninong and ninang.

Unlike most of her classmates, she didn't cry on the first day of school, or even on the following days and weeks. One day, when I brought her into the classroom, I saw her giving a friendly pat on the shoulder of a classmate who was crying and overheard her saying "don't cry na..." I was so proud of my baby. After a week in school, I was surprised to receive a note from the teacher. According to her, my daughter refuses to talk to her and answer her questions. Not even questions like "what's your name?" The teacher has not heard my baby's voice for one entire week! Apparently, Justine does not participate in group time (singing and story-telling), and does not answer when they work, not even to ask for help when it is eating time or toilet time. The teacher said that instead of crying, this might be Justine’s response to a new school. And she is willing to let Justine get used to this new surrounding.

And after 2 weeks of school, according to the teacher, she's very very noisy. She's even the one who starts naughty antics. For instance, during one group time, for no apparent reason, she removed her socks and shoes and everyone followed. I suppose my baby was delighted and the teacher was, thank God, patient enough. I noticed some little changes, too. During dismissal, she would wave her hand enthusiastically and tell everyone "goodbye, see you tomorrow." - including other teachers, other yayas and mothers.

One day, my sister Jac was showing Justine a picture, and Jac pointed "monkey." Justine said, "no, that's a gorilla." Jac was impressed, naturally, it was a gorilla after all.

I was at the 2nd floor SM City last week. I was looking for a card for a friend whose husband died recently. When I turned around, Justine was not beside me anymore! I was in a major panic mode. I went around and around the 2nd floor. I was afraid that she had gone out of the department store, or went up or down the escalator herself (she can do that already). And worse, I was afraid that she would be kidnapped! You know, a chinese-looking kid roaming around by herself... I don't know how long it was - even if it was only a few minutes, it sure felt like a long time for me. I found her talking to an SM saleslady on the other side of the escalator. Relief and sigh. The saleslady asked how old she is, because according to her, Justine told her " please find mommy Ning." The saleslady was impressed "kasi may please pa."

She loves to eat hotdogs. (Yes. I know, it's not exactly a good choice for kids to eat. But Justine is a picky eater, I'm already happy when she eats anything at all.) One day, I gave her one piece of vienna sausage. After she finished eating it, she asked for one more. I was surprised. She usually eats only 1. I happily gave it to her. Then, she slid down her chair and announced that she's going to Kongkong's (grandfather) house, and give the "hotdog" to Kongkong to eat. (You see, my mother-in-law at that time was not here – she was in China, so I share what I cook to my father-in-law and I think Justine got it from there.)

No comments: